How to use this website
- Click “Get Help” for services that you can access via telephone and online resource lists.
- Click “Aging in Alameda County” to find a wide range of resources, including data and reports. These are available to older adults, advocates, and other stakeholders to strengthen legislative agendas, develop grant proposals, and otherwise maintain or improve the quality of life for older adults in need. Resources include Issue Guides on special topics that concern older adults as well as links to other County, State and National resources.
- Click “Age-Friendly Efforts” for information about the County’s participation in the Global Network of Age Friendly Communities, as well as links to cities across the County that are developing their own Age-Friendly Communities; the Alameda County Area Agency on Aging (AAA) Countywide Plan for Older Adults; and the Alameda County Council for Age Friendly Communities, which coordinates efforts to effect policy and system changes that enhance the overall well-being of older adults who live in Alameda County.
- Click “Get Involved” for ways to volunteer, learn about public policy and make your voice heard.
- Click "Contact Us" to let us know what you think about the website.
- Want to take action? Click here.
Age-Friendly Council Launches Digital Inclusion Needs Assessment Survey
April 26, 2021
The Alameda County Council for Age-Friendly Communities is conducting a brief survey of older adults in our County to look for gaps in access to the internet and electronic devices, and to find out if educational or training support is needed to use those devices.
If you are age 50 or older and live in Alameda County, your voice can help us identify gaps in access to support our County in becoming a more age-friendly community. Click here to take the confidential survey today!
If you are a service provider, please refer to our toolkit to help us distribute the survey to your community members! #digitalinclusion #agefriendly
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day PSAs
June 28, 2021
To commemorate World Elder Abuse Awareness Day, which is observed annually on June 15, the Alameda County Social Services Agency's Department of Adult and Aging Services has launched a series of Public Service Announcements (PSAs) to broaden community awareness of this important issue. Seniors, family members, caregivers, and professionals are encouraged to learn the signs and how to report suspected abuse.
Financial Abuse View this video PSA: https://vimeo.com/560512360/c30d14d89e
Self-Neglect View this video PSA: https://vimeo.com/560514333/aae5164415
Ombudsman Services View this video PSA: https://vimeo.com/561084651/70f186ee36
To report elder abuse in Alameda County, contact Adult Protective Services at 1-866-CALL-APS or 1-866-225-5277.
Cooling Centers in Alameda County
June 28, 2021
When the weather gets hot, “Cooling Centers” may be opened in Alameda County. These are facilities such as a senior centers, community centers or libraries that have air conditioning, where the public may go to cool down during a heat wave. Some may also provide other resources for people who are experiencing homelessness or are unsheltered. When there is a need for Cooling Centers to open and facilities have been identified that can provide this service, a list will be posted here.
For a list of cooling facilities serving the Eden area, click here.
California Becomes an AARP Age-Friendly State
June 28, 2021
California has become the eighth state in the nation to join the AARP Network of Age-Friendly States and Communities, a commitment on behalf of state leadership to build a California for people of all ages and abilities. AARP’s network, an affiliate of the World Health Organization’s (WHO) Global Network of Age-Friendly Cities and Communities (NASFC) Program, is part of an international campaign to help communities prepare for rapidly aging populations and the parallel trend of urbanization. By committing to be an age friendly state, California will become a California for All Ages and develop innovative policies, plans, and strategies that will reduce the vast inequalities and build more resilient and inclusive societies and economies – particularly in underserved older communities.
Check the Alameda County Public Health Department (ACPHD) COVID-19 Vaccines web page often for important updates!
June 28, 2021
ACPHD’s COVID-19 Vaccines web page provides critical updates and information for Alameda County residents including how to register for vaccine appointments, including vaccines at home, if needed; frequently-asked questions; guidance and resources, and more. Please check back often!
Scam Alert: Ignore Fraudulent COVID-19 Vaccine Survey
April 14, 2021
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) reminds the public to stay safe and be on the lookout for a post-vaccine survey scam. None of the vaccine manufacturers are conducting post-vaccine surveys, and no legitimate survey asks for your credit card or bank account number to pay for a “free” reward.
For more information on the post-vaccine scam, please visit the FTC's website.
Alameda County’s Age-Friendly efforts are developed and supported by a partnership among Alameda County Social Services Agency, Health Care Services Agency, and the Council for Age-Friendly Communities.